WHY DOES OUR PTA FUNDRAISE?
- Public education budget cuts are real. Raising funds to help support the educational activities in our school is one of the primary jobs of our PTA.
- Thanks to contributions from PS3 families, the PTA funds enrichment programs, activities, resources and equipment that makes PS3 the unique place that it is.
- To create a welcoming and safe space that supports the creative, academic, and social wellbeing of every child. Each year, our PTA spends about $800 per child. Our school and our children need us!
WHAT DO THESE FUNDS MAKE POSSIBLE?
The money raised is essential funding used to pay for:
- Music teacher and clay teacher’s salaries
- 4 teacher’s assistants
- Community building and special events (science fair, field trips, graduation)
- Classroom supplies (plus supplies for art, clay, dance, theater, library, PE, recess games)
- Healthier lunches via the Wellness In The Schools program (WITS)
- Science and Art Partnerships (SAIRS Program & Whitney Museum Partnership)
- …and much, much more!
HOW MUCH SHOULD WE GIVE AND BY WHEN?
- Many families choose to donate $800 per child to cover what the PTA spends each year.
- Some families who are able to will help cover additional children at the school or even a whole class! We understand everyone's circumstances are different.
- In the past, donations have ranged from $20-$20,000 - every amount helps.
- Participation is key! It is most important that everyone participates.
- Our goal is to raise $260,000 by 12/31/2022 which is 60% of our budget. We plan to raise the remaining 40% in the spring through events.
- Checks (hooray for no fees!) can be made out to “SCC PS3” and can be mailed to the school (PTA Fundraising, c/o PS3 490 Hudson St., New York, NY 10014 Attn: PTA) or dropped off at the front desk. Your donation can still show up in Givebutter - just go through the donation steps and when you get to the payment page, select "Mail a Check" at the bottom. Your donation will still count towards the goal.
- Donations can also be made online.
WHAT IF THE MONEY IS NOT RAISED?
- Unfortunately, the reality is that if the money isn’t raised, difficult decisions and cuts will need to be made to the various support and enrichment services provided by the PTA.
- PTA funding is essential to the PS3 we know and love.
WHAT IF I WANT TO MAKE A SUBSTANTIAL GIFT, OR CREATE A MATCH?
If you'd like to make a gift of $5,000 or more and have questions, please email our
Fundraising Committee Chairs: firstname.lastname@example.org
CAN I MAKE A CORPORATE MATCH?
Check with your HR department and you may be able to double (or even triple) your contributions to PS 3! Once they confirm send us an email and we will reach out to secure the match. For more information click here.
HOW ELSE CAN I HELP RAISE FUNDS?
Perhaps you have generous grandparents, family, and friends who want to contribute
to the education of your child(ren). Please direct them here.
As the saying goes, it takes a village!
HOW DOES PTA FUNDRAISING WORK?
- Because P.S. 3 is a moderately large school with 550 students and an economically diverse parent body, the PS3 PTA aims to host a wide variety of fundraisers so that every family can contribute in the way that is comfortable for them.
- Typically, 60% of the budget is raised through direct giving in the fall and 40% in the spring through events. Participation is our goal.
- Some families like to bid on class art, some like to sponsor a runner in the marathon, some like to purchase tickets to events and some prefer to give directly.
- The PTA also hosts many FUNraisers where the focus is on community and fun. These include some of our children’s favorite events such as the Fall Fest, the Talent Show, Art Park, and Spring Fling. We FUNDraise and FUNraise collectively so that parents help not only their own children but the entire student body. Community is at the heart of what we do.
WHO DECIDES HOW THE PTA FUNDS ARE SPENT?
- Each Spring, the PS3 PTA votes on a budget for the following school year.
- The budget is created by the PTA Budgetary Committee, who meet over many weeks to determine what the school needs are and the matching fundraising needs for the next school year will be.
- The budget is informed by members of the Executive Board and PTA members who work throughout the year raising funds, organizing events, and supporting our parent-teacher community.
- As parents and caregivers of a child enrolled at PS3, you are automatically a member of the PTA and you vote to decide how to fundraise and where to distribute the funds.
WHAT IF I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS?
Please email: email@example.com
The PS 3 PTA is a registered 501(c)(3) under the name of PS 3 School Community Council The John Melser Charrette School.
Tax ID: EIN 13-3570722.
- Monday, March 27
- Tuesday, March 28
- Friday, March 31
- Tuesday, April 4
- Wednesday, April 5